The Dr. Takashi ‘Tak’ Hattori Memorial Scholarship
The deadline for the 2018 Dr. Tak Hattori Memorial Scholarship is April 1, 2018.
The Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber is proud to announce the 2018 Dr. Tak Hattori Memorial Scholarship.
This scholarship honors Dr. Tak Hattori who served as the Medical Director for the Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber for 44 years. Dr. Hattori was one of the driving forces behind the acquisition and installation of the hyperbaric chamber. During his tenure as Medical Director he volunteered thousands of hours, ensuring that the all-volunteer staff had the most current training in hyperbaric medicine and that the absolute best medical care was offered to those suffering from diving related injuries and carbon monoxide poisoning.
His influence extended beyond the hyperbaric chamber as he worked closely with local hospitals’ emergency departments and physicians educating them in the identification, diagnosis and initial treatment of diving-related and carbon monoxide poisoning medical issues. Dr. Hattori’s volunteer service to the Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber was in addition to serving as a radiologist at Community Hospital of Monterey Peninsula. He also volunteered with the Japanese American Citizen League, Monterey Planning Commission and served on the Board of Directors for the Asilomar Conference Center. His service was recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard, the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society, Monterey County, the City of Pacific Grove and the U.S. Congress.
2018 Application Instructions and Requirements
- The applicant must be in their senior year of high school and a resident of Monterey, Santa Cruz or San Benito County.
- The applicant must plan to attend an Accredited Institution of Higher Education.
- Official high school transcripts must be submitted with the application and the applicant must have a high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation must be submitted with the application packet. Each letter of recommendation must be placed in a sealed envelope and signed across the seal by the writer of the letter.
- DO NOT STAPLE ANY PART OF THE APPLICATION TOGETHER
- The application package must be mailed to the address below (do not send by registered mail). Hand-delivered or electronic applications will NOT be accepted. Applications must be postmarked by April 1, 2018. Mail your completed application package to:
Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber
Dr. Hattori Memorial Scholarship
600 Pine Ave
Pacific Grove, CA 9350
To complete our scholarship application, first download the form to your computer by clicking on the button. Once you have the form, you may either:
• Print the form and fill it in by hand.
• Fill in the form by using a PDF application (Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader, or similar). When filling in a multi-line response, the writing lines will disappear and the text will automatically wrap. When finished, you can print and sign the form.